Friday, July 20, 2012

Some words I enjoy

Hey there, people with computers and very intelligent phones. Recently a friend of mine (shoutout to Rhona) introduced me to a trivia podcast called "Good job, Brain" (It's really good, you should all look it up, it's free) It's basically just a show where four smart and funny people talk about interesting stuff, and each week there is a theme. The other night i finished listening to their episode on words and it got me thinking about words that I like and why (I'm kinda OCD-ish like that, I also like certain numbers) and so I have compiled a list that will hopefully be somewhat entertaining to read. I wrote this off the top of my head so it's fairly short. I credit some of the words to the podcast "Good job, Brain":

Snarge: This is a word I learned from "Good job, Brain", it is the term for what happens when an aeroplane hits a bird in flight. Kinda gross but a very cool word.

Cruciverbalist: A crossword fanatic. Fun to say (I was disappointed that the GJB team didn't mention this word at all).

Tittle: Not actually a dirty word at all (but you can make people think it is), it's the dot on top of an "i" or "j".

Triskadekophobia: Fear of the number thirteen. Slip it into conversation casually and people will think you're a genius.

Onomatopoeia: The word for words that sound like the thing they describe (it's like wordception) Kind of a fail of a word, if you ask me; it has four vowels in a row but no "u". You could have a full house of vowels, why would you just leave it like that?!

Favourite: Everyone knows what it means, I'd just like to shame Onomatopoeia with the knowledge that a word almost half it's length has all five vowels because it is truly dedicated to being the best word it can be.

Skirmish: An unorganised brawl or battle. Really fun to say.

Awesome: Anyone who knows me knows I say this a lot. It's an awesome word. Awesome.

Snafu: a mess and a really cool word.

Word: a word that is very hard to describe without using the word "word". If you look at it for too long, it stops looking like a word and you start thinking "that can't be right, better use a different word, just in case".

Embrace: to hold something closely in one's arms/tentacles/branches/metal claws/mind.

The:  the english article denoting something unique or to be known generally via earlier reference. Try and go a day without using this word, I dare you.

Madness: Extremely foolish (and much more fun) behaviour.


Got to the end of the list without including any swear words, fuck yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment