Saturday, August 17, 2013

New Cover Video: On My Own (Les Miserables)

Hey guys, just finished my most recent youtube video. As tthe title suggests, I'm covering Les Mis's phenomenal "On my own", one of my favourite songs of all time. Here, check it out:


I hope you liked it. I'll just address the issue that any fans of the musical will instantly pick up on and that is the changes in certain phrases and the lack of key change. I honestly didn't want to leave it as is because I love the song so much but, as you can probably tell from some of the notes in this video, I don't have the greatest range. It's a BIG song, the original spans at least two octaves (I'm not certain of that but I think it's correct) and I was tempted to stand up for the video because it makes the higher notes easier. I didn't, thee video be better or worse for it. Another reason for the changes is the fact that I worked our the notes from scratch and couldn't for the life of me get the key change right. I'll probably pass the changes off as "I put my own spin on it". This'll be our little secret, shhh!

This song in particular does resonate with me because, like all girls who sit in their bedrooms playing acoustic guitar, I've been on the receiving end of plenty of unrequited love in my day. One of my songs, "The Message I'll Never Send" (which is long overdue for an unnecessary song explanation) is veeeeery Eponine-y so the song speaks to me on a writing level as well as emotional. Face it, we've all been there. that's what makes it great.

Embrace the Madness

No comments:

Post a Comment