Friday, June 21, 2013

Knowing people I don't know or "How the internet is a confusing place"

Hello person reading this. How're things? Now, to clarify, I don't know you. I have no way of knowing you, except perhaps if you were to comment on this, but even then, I would merely be granted a pinhole view into your psyche (other that the fact that you read this blog, which is incredibly worrying, by the way, see a doctor immediately). However, you probably feel that you know me, to a point. You know some of my opinions because I put them here (though they're sparse, I'm a bad blogger). You may even feel that you could guess some of the things I like and dislike, foods, movies and all that jazz, or predict what I would do in certain situations, purely from the impression you get of me through my writing. But again, I don't know you. This is an odd concept to me as I am so much more often the viewer, the one making judgments and predictions based on what people share with the internet. 

As a person, and I think I may have mentioned this in the past, I have this tendency of overanalysing things, making wild assumptions based on what I know (Holmes style, bitches). I think this probably formed from my lack of close friends for long portions of my life as well as my love for reading and writing. I tend to thing of people as characters in the story of my life (not an unhealthy thing, I reckon, as long as I keep it more or less quiet in public) and so I make a habit of trying to know these characters and what they will do, regardless of exactly how much I actually know them. For instance, there are various different people in my group of friends at school who I've analysed the hell out of, down to how they became they way they are now. I have only known these people for about two years. However i know that so and so is how she is partly because of her parents' relationship, partly because she idolises her brother and partly because she is given too much freedom. So and so lives mostly vicariously and so she has issues with some real life situations and ends up a passive onlooker. So and so's relationship with so and so fell apart because of x, y and z. It's a bad habit but useful, as I often find myself knowing people better than they think I do. I haven't used it to my own personal gain much but I think I could (insert evil laugh here). My gaydar is outstanding, but I don't broadcast my estimations. 

Anyway, back to the internet. Because of the way I analyse people and situations, I have problems regarding attachments with people on the internet. Now, I generally feel I know internet people better than people in real life, mostly because there's so much more information. Anyone with a good blog, I know you, anyone with a Youtube channel, I know you, twitterers, I know you. And it's confusing as hell because I have no way of using this knowledge. Not for nefarious means or otherwise (half hearted evil laugh with questioning tone), I have unconsciously used energy in knowing people I will never meet and who have no idea who I am.  And it doesn't stop, if the person puts up a new video or blog (and it's interesting) I will read the hell out of it because I want to know them even better. It's not like a stalker thing, it's just what my mind does. It's really quite frustrating and I know I'm not alone in this. As a sidenote, internet personalities are different to actors and the like because, though they might play a character projection of themselves, they are not really masking themselves, actors are meant to. I have an odd problem with trusting actors, not so with internet strangers. 

I don't really know what this particular post was meant to say as a whole, therefore I have no conclusion so I'ma just flim-flam around until I run out of words (ha, as if I would). The internet is a really big place, bigger than our little tribally programmed brains can even begin to comprehend. It is oddly painful but also exhilarating to get to know someone who you have never met, finding that you have a surprising amount in common is even stranger. Remember, when you're one in a million there're about a thousand other people exactly like you. But individuality is another topic altogether, which, knowing me (and believe me, I do) I will address at some point. sorry if this was more serious than expected.

Embrace the Madness

No comments:

Post a Comment